Friday 2 December 2011

First sequence breakdown/ General Feelings

Influence from Duane Michals and Cindy Sherman (mainly) 
The idea behind this sequence of 9 images presented as one was to document a friend of mine who seems to spend alot of his time not doing alot.. 
I wanted to express his feelings of isolation, confinement and paranoia in this sequence of images, displayed in black and white as i regarded this to be best fitting for the shoot, showing contrast between black and white nicely. To show isolation and confinement, I only included the one person in the shoot, using close ups to capture facial expression. I wanted to somehow show time as being very slow but also being something that is everlasting yet unchanging to this persons life.. As people move onwards and upwards, with time being a contributor to change,, this person merely plods along, smoking weed and feeling somewhat not part of society.. From previous mention of motion and movement within photography, and life in general, i worked against this and wanted to slow time down. I shot alot of the images experimenting with slowing down the shutter speed aswell, but decided not to use them as the still ones worked better. The top middle image is the only one used, i felt this helped to slow the sequence down.
This was merely an experiment and i think worked quite well. I will continue to shoot , which will help me to refine my idea as such. So far I still havn't pin pointed what i want from this project, and also what i want my audience to get from it. I am of course prepared to rethink the project if i feel it may steer in a different direction, as i have more than enough time to do so.. 
I want to make the project a little bit more specific, perhaps more issue based and somewhat more critical. I don't feel it should be passive nor obey me.. 
I shall carry on with research,( theoretical and technical ) and will continue to piece together my project, with relevant experiments and examples, still focusing on the aspect of time..


Raising questions/Thinking about time as a concept..

In order to investigate the nature of time it may help to break it down into four main questions.
1) How does time flow?
2) Does time flow in only one direction?
3) Is there a constant 'Universal' time?
4) Is time a 'real' dimension?



No comments:

Post a Comment