Sunday 30 October 2011

Experimental sequences/ Todorov's Theory



Like last year, with these experimental sequences i have tended to use just three images to show a time lapse in my subject, in this case being a burnt out candle and a pealed orange. Visually i am very pleased with the image(s), and feel they work, yet i don't want to get trapped into the idea that i must use three images to show this. Like the theory used in many films and other media forms, that there is simply a beginning, middle and end. I would like to question what goes on in-between these gaps, and perhaps document this in some way. At this very early stage in my project i am happy that i am noticing what i feel it wrong from right, and have more than enough time to choose routes in which i will go down, resulting in my final pieces. At this stage in the project i will continue with everything possible from subject to technique, and start to get out of my comfort zone, perhaps producing more interesting works. As i am using time lapse techniques to show a change in state, i understand that i should start to read and research into theories of beginnings and ends, and look into scholarly readings on time lapse. I find the whole idea rather romantic and poetic, which deeply interests me, and i want people to look at my final images and start to figure out a story, wondering why i have done this. Regarding subject, i feel i need to look outside of the box, and start looking into my own life. What interests me. Maybe look into the human body, or even possibly my own face...

"Todorov's narrative theory assumes that narratives behave like a language; therefor Todorov thinks that their description will benifit from the use of categories" (Teun Adrianus van Dijk)
I have been researching 'Todorov's narrative theory, which describes what i have been doing so far, describing   three main stages:
1. Begining (and Equilibrium)
2. Middle (Disruption, an event occurring causing disequilibrium)
3. End : Equilibrium established

I think my idea of presenting a time lapse could use Narrative photography quite well, where narratives of the world are endless , and can include a variety of genres in lots of forms i.e Tragedy, comedy, history, cinema etc which is present in every age, place in society. 

Teun Adrianus van Dijk (1985) Discourse and Literature: New approaches to the analysis of literary genres. London: John Benjamins Pub Co. P94.

2 comments:

  1. The triptych is a classic structure: It's the basic pattern for altar tableaux, and of course it reflects the 3 act structure of narrative (beginning, middle, end = status quo, disruption, new status quo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes exactly, i looked into this quite alot lst year and got fixed on the idea of using just three photos per sequence. I think visually it looks really good, but theres a lot to question i.e the inbetween parts. 'Todorov' describes this theory in more detail describing three stages
    1. Begining (and Equilibrium)
    2. Middle (Disruption, an event occurring causing disequilibrium)
    3. End : Equilibrium established

    I think my idea of presenting a time lapse could use Narrative photography quite well, where narratives of the world are endless , and can include a variety of genres in lots of forms i.e Tragedy, comedy, history, cinema etc which is present in every age, place in society.
    Montage is also a form of photgraphy which i particularly like and enjoy putting together. I am feeling like this project has a lot of potential

    ReplyDelete