Sunday 27 November 2011

Artist Study: Duane Michals - Photo sequence / Narrative

"With me it's all been about thinking. I don't walk around with a camera waiting for something to take a picture of. I never did. Essentially, I've always been introspective, and it's always been there, the notion that the mind is the source of everything" (Duane Michals)
I picked this quote out specifically from "The Essential Duane Michals, 1997" as it contrasts to Nan Goldins philosophy and approach to photography totally. Michals seems to be much more systematic and set up. This contrast is interesting and shows artists working from different ends of the spectrum. 
I have always enjoyed Michals photo sequence photography and find it very clever indeed. He was of inspiration to my project also last year, and i admire how clever he can be, when perhaps it could be impossible to tell the story he manages to in one image, in a photo sequence between 3- 20 photos, presented as one frame. His work makes innovative use of photo sequence often incorporating test to examine emotion and philosiphy. My next stage is to now experiment in such a way. I also like his persistent use of black and white photography. I feel some images work with black and white, where others will benefit more with colour, so i am not going to set any rules regarding black and white or colour just yet..


Some examples , the first one being my favourite, very clever. (Camera has stayed still)
 Second one quite creepy, yet an interesting cryptic. 

1 comment:

  1. Reference for quote :
    Michals.D. (1997) "The essential Duane Michals" London: Bulfinch Press

    ReplyDelete